Monday 19th in New Zealand

G'day,

Welcome to todays blog in New Zealand and today I will meet my first Council in NZ, Christchurch City Council. Here I met Greg Riach and we started with a coffee (Yes I've started drinking coffee over here now). We then headed back to the office where quickly I learned they are moving to SharePoint in the next 12 months. It was great to see how the project is coming together as Leeds City Council is currently migrating to SharePoint. I was then shown the Library and Art gallery sites who are doing large amounts of web 2.0 to push out events and information.

Now time for lunch, Greg took me to a local cafe, which I had a modest sandwich and drink of cola. Then onto my next organisation, Environment Canterbury (E-Can). Here I met David Lewitt who gave me an insight into the role E-Can plays in the community. For those curious, they oversee all the environmental issues such as air quality, coastal environment, emergency management, pests and biodiversity. This was a very unusual place to visit as I found out during a tour, one moment you're in an office with people wearing a shirt and tie, the next you're in a lab with people clutching test tubes. This was an interesting place to visit seeing all the environmental processes in place and getting to look at the emergency room in case of a natural disaster.

I then set off on foot back to the hotel and managed to get lost wondering through the different streets. I did however find a Subway and remember thinking to myself Ill grab one of those later only to not remember where it was, doh! So I eventually found my hotel and settled down for the night.

That is that so see you tomorrow.......

No comments:

Post a Comment