Wednesday 21st in New Zealand

G'day,

I awoke to a beautiful day in Kaikoura and ready to do some Whale watching as recommended by the people at ALGIM. I wrapped up warm and grabbed my camera ready to snap some good pictures. I arrived at the Whale watching centre, handed over my ticket and bought cheese, ham and tomato toasties (Have to admit I didn't like it them too much) then sat down for the safety briefing. We then all hopped on the coach for the journey to the sea front to embark on our boat. We were informed that all the people who get sea sick are best seated at the back as the front bounces around more, therefore I jumped straight into a seat at the front.

Wasn't long before we spotted a Whale but it soon went under again so we set off looking for our second Whale. Some of us wondered onto the top deck and it presented us with a beautiful view. This was until one of the Whale spotters shouted Whale 2 miles ahead and the boat shot off with us all holding on for dear life. If your the type who feels the draft from a door easily this is not for you. We quickly arrived at the new location and managed to get some great shots of the Whale before we needed to head back to shore. Luckily we were able to see some Dolphins and native sea birds along the way. A worth while trip for anyone near Kaikoura if you love wildlife or even just to see the views.

I arrived back in the centre of Kaikoura and decided to do a popular walk along the sea front where I was able to get some amazing photos, see Fur Seals and learn about the history of the area, Whale hunting and the Maori. Kaikoura is truly a wonderful place rich with wildlife and history. I had to hurry though to catch the bus to my next stop, Blenheim.

On arriving in Blenheim I was picked up and taken to my Homestay, this is the first time I have ever stayed in a Homestay and it was different. For those unsure what a Homestay is, you go and stay in someones house and other people stay there too so its like a hotel but it has more of a personal touch, it was nice. Anyway time for bed and I will see you tomorrow.........

No comments:

Post a Comment