Day 5 in Australia

G'Day,

Today I would meet my second organisation, Avoka who are based in Manly. I had already decided the best way would be to get the ferry from Sydney to Manly and find the organisation on foot. This went to plan until I got the the street Avoka is supposed to be on, I could not find the company and none of the smaller businesses near by knew either. This was OK as I had 45 minutes to find it but I still could not find them. With 5 minutes to go I spotted a delivery guy who promptly pointed me to the building. Phew I'd found it on time.

Here I met Ben Walsh who was very welcoming and is a very knowledgeable guy. I got the full tour of Avoka including the board room (Not the same as back in England, its the surf board room). Maybe that's an idea to take back to England. With Ben I got to learn a lot about E-forms using PDFs and Adobe Lifecycle designer, 2 techniques I know little about. We also moved on to Web 2.0 and how you can use Rich Internet Application's to create forms with great user interfaces but still keep the functionality. We talked about Business Project Management and how agile development has helped and hindered projects. Having worked for a public sector organisation who has used agile development it was interesting to see how private organisations are using agile too.

At Avoka I had the honour of my first Aussie BBQ and one thing I will take home, is the Aussies know how to do a BBQ, very nice food indeed. So I want to finish up by thanking the guys at a Avoka and Ben Walsh for all their time and the knowledge they have given me.

So its been a long week but roll on the weekend......

No comments:

Post a Comment